One of the easiest ways to get started working at home in the UK is to offer your skills as a service on Fiverr. If you have not heard of Fiverr, it is a marketplace for products and services starting for $5 (or around £3 at the time of writing). Before you balk at the miserly compensation, let me assure you that there are plenty of individuals making a comfortable living from home by offering their skills at three quid a pop. It is also completely free to join and sell on Fiverr and you won’t have to fork out a single penny until you actually make money.
How do you make money on Fiverr?
You can make money by offering your skills on Fiverr. You can literally sell anything. The process goes like this: You decide what to sell and offer it in a “gig”. Interested buyers find your gig and pay you $5 to carry it out. You can create multiple gigs with each offering a different product or service. As you sell more gigs, you will go up in level and be able to charge more for your services by including optional gigs.
Currently, there are 3 levels that you can achieve:
- Level One Seller: You get this level by being on Fiverr for 30 days with 10 orders completed and have a positive buying rating. Level one sellers can include up to 3 add-ons in each of their gigs at a maximum of $20 per add-on. This means you can make up to $65 per order.
- Level Two Seller: You get this level by completing over 50 orders in the past two months with a positive buyer rating. Level two sellers can include up to 4 add-ons in each of their gigs at a maximum of $40 per add-on, making it a potential $165 per order.
- Top Rated Seller: This level is only awarded to sellers who have been on Fiverr for some time, have made lots of sales with high ratings and great customer support. You can only become a top-rated seller if you are picked by Fiverr’s editors. At this level, you can offer 5 add-ons per gig, with each a maximum of $100 per add-on. It’s not easy to become a top-rated seller but if anyone who gets to this level can potentially make $505 per order.
What can you sell?
There are people making a living on Fiverr by writing 250-word articles, creating graphics, editing videos, being someone’s virtual assistant, singing birthday songs — the things you can sell on Fiverr are limited only by your imagination. There’s even a guy in Sri Lanka who gets paid $5 each time to climb a coconut tree and make a video of it.
- If you can write, article-writing services are in demand and you already have an advantage because people are always looking for native English speakers from the UK to write their articles
- If you have basic graphic design skills, logo-making and image editing services are also popular
- Have a great voice? Try offering 30 second voiceovers
If you still have no idea what to offer, just do a search on Fiverr and emulate what others are doing
Does it cost anything at all?
Fiverr is completely free to sign up and you only get charged $1 when you sell a gig. It’s automatically deducted from your sale. You also get charged 2% (up to a maximum of $1) when you withdraw your earnings from Fiverr to PayPal.